Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Priorities of a 5th Grader

     Last night was the Open House for my son's 5th grade class.  I was annoyed about having to go, because I've been to it before for my daughter and because they do the same thing every year, but I knew Happyboy would be sad if I went to his sister's Open House and not his, so I sucked it up and made my way to the Elementary School.  
     I always feel out of place--when I worked I had no time to donate to the school, and when I stopped working I had Rose, so I still couldn't spend time in the classrooms.  I am awful at small talk, and my kids have a few friends in the neighborhood--but not actually ones that go to their schools (they have friends at their schools, but they are not the same ones that are in our neighborhood.)  This means that I really don't know the other parents, the teachers don't always recognize my face, and I spend my time looking down at my kid's desk feeling like the nerd with no friends.  
     There is always a "surprise" from your child on said desk.  A letter, a question, something you have to respond to so you can't even lie and go to Target and just say you went to Open House.  This year each child wrote their 5th grade goal, and each parent responded with their goals for the child.  Now, I know schoolwork is not high on Happyboy's priority list, but I assumed he could fake it for the teacher.  Below is his goal paper and my response to it: 


     As you can see, he's a TMNT fan.  He's also more interested in art and music than any other subject.  I was almost angry, but in the end, it was so him, I could only laugh.  Trust my boy to leave something to take my mind off of being a nerd.  Happyboy, I hope you rock fifth grade.

5 comments:

  1. We're in the same boat. My son goes to his elementary school and none of his friends live in the neighborhood so I don't know any of the parents. I don't have time to donate in schools as well. btw he's an awesome artist. Great work! Stopping by from bloggy moms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks:) I'm following you on my Bloglovin' feed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thus your next Mom challenge has been born! You must make him an art show! You could have it be a charity fund raiser or something and get some other kids to put up their art. I believe he has challenged you, or himself here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I should have known those challenges would come back to haunt me!

      Delete
    2. Haha I should have known those challenges would come back to haunt me!

      Delete